Histamine is the body's way of reacting to something it recognises as an 'enemy'. When this is something innocent like pollen, cat fur or dust mites, it can make life quite miserable! 

The release of histamine can cause a variety of symptoms, including a skin rash, headache, sneezing, runny nose, swelling, nausea and diarrhea. The most severe reaction, known as anaphylaxis, can be life-threatening.

If the allergen is something you breathe in, your reaction will most likely affect your eyes, nose and lungs. If the allergen is something you consume, you’re more likely to have symptoms in your mouth, stomach and intestines.

Antihistamines stop this reaction so you can go on with life as normal!